- How do I get to Memorial?
Memorial Baptist Church is located at:3455 North Glebe Road Arlington, VA 22207
Please see our Directions page for a map and some guides on how to get to our church.
- I have driven to Memorial, but where do I park?
There is visitor and handicapped parking is on the east side of the church. The back field is used as overflow parking and there is street parking on Dittmar and Abingdon Streets.
- Ok I'm at the church, now where do I go?
We hope the church interior diagram will assist you with with the layout of our church.
You will find on the interior diagram our Sanctuary where the 8:30 am contemporary service is held. The Sanctuary is located on the south end of the building. The entrance faces Glebe Road.
Our 9:45 am Sunday school classes are located throughout the building. Adults meet on the ground floor in the Fellowship Hall, youth are on the ground floor, and children are on the first floor. Use the Church Office Entrance on the East end.
The 11:00 am traditional service takes place in the Sanctuary on the south end of the building. The entrance faces Glebe Road.
- Is there something for the children? And is there a nursery?
During the 8:30 and 11:00 services, we have a nursery available for children three and under.
During the 11:00 service, children ages three through five are invited to Childrens Church following the childrens sermon.
Sunday School is provided for all ages - newborns through senior adults.
- What are the services like?
There are two types of worship services offered on Sunday mornings at Memorial. At 8:30 AM, we have a contemporary service, and at 11:00 AM we have a traditional service. Here is a brief comparison of each service to help you decide which one is right for you. Note: Of course you're welcome to attend both if you'd like!
The contemporary service:
- is informal and relaxed
- has modern music performed by Lifeline, our outstanding in-house band
- uses lyrics projected on an overhead screen for congregational singing
The traditional service:
- is more formal (but not boring or stuffy at all, we promise!)
- has traditional music with piano and organ accompaniment and a choir
- uses hymnals with lyrics and sheet music for congregational singing
- Do I have to dress up?
We truly are a church for all people. Our contemporary service tends to be very relaxed, and our traditional service tends to be more formal, but you will see everything from jeans to suits in both services. Please come in whatever dress will make you comfortable and ready to worship.
- How will I know when to stand?
Don't worry, the pastor will ask the congregation to stand or sit during the worship service. Generally speaking, we stand when singing.
- How long does the worship service last?
The service lasts about an hour, with the majority of that time split between joyful congregational singing and a topical sermon from the pastor. The Lord's Supper is observed the first Sunday of the month. There are also times set aside for prayer, a children's lesson, and church announcements.
- Which bible translation is typically used when scripture is read aloud during the service?
We typically use the NRSV (New Revised Standard Version), but occasionally read from the RSV, NIV, NKJV, or The Message.
- Am I expected to give or donate?
We dont expect our visitors to give, but we would love to have a record of your visit. It really helps us get to know you better if you would fill out the visitor card in the worship folder and place that in the offering plate. The reason we collect this information is that we would like to tell you about some specific activities and events that you might enjoy. You can also sign up to receive the church newsletter, if you wish.
- How do I join the church? And what is the invitation part of the service about?
You are welcome to come to church regularly without formally joining. You do not have to become a member at Memorial to participate in worship, study and service. However, you may decide at some point that you would like to take the step of membership.
Each Sunday, at the end of the 11:00 service, there is a time of invitation. During this hymn you are invited to join the church or make a decision of faith. Simply walk down to the front of the sanctuary during the invitation hymn, greet the pastor, and let us know what decision you've made. If you have questions about joining the church or confessing your faith, you are invited to talk with any of our pastors during the week.
You can join the church in three ways:
- Transfer of Letter: You transfer your membership from another Baptist church or another church that practices believer's baptism.
- Seeking Baptism: You are ready to profess faith in Jesus Christ and would like to be baptized.
- Associate Membership: You are a believer who was baptized as an infant, and you want to be part of Memorial but you are not ready to join in believer's baptism by immersion.
- How do I get involved?
The best way to get to know people is to get involved! Memorial has a three-part mission statement, and all three parts are essential in growing in the Christian faith If youre not involved in Worship, Small Group Bible Study, and Service, then you are missing out on all that God has for you! Take some time to explore the website and find a place to Worship, Study, and Serve that is right for you. Feel free to talk to one of the pastoral staff or members about where God may be calling you to get plugged in!
- I have a question that is not covered here. Who do I contact to ask questions?
Please contact us at anytime to find out more about Memorial.